Dog Days Ahead

This week, I've been mostly fuelled by tea and chocolate brownies. One day I will have a tin of ready-made healthy snacks to tuck into. That, and a pre-made tiffin box of quinoa salad on hand for lunch on-the-go. Just not this week. But today, with deadlines met, I dropped in to see my mum and her new friend. She's called Philomena and she's an absolutely beautiful Irish Terrier. We watched her trot around her new home and tentatively investigate the garden. For hours. She's really friendly, quite nosey and loves a nap. I'm not sure I'd agree in this case that a dog looks like its owner but it seems they were made for each other. 

Current white in the fridge: Pecorino Terre di Chieti 2013, £5.99 on offer, Waitrose
You can't miss the label, it's got grinning sheep on the front (the Italian name for sheep is pecora). The grape is called Pecorino and it's grown in Abruzzo. And what makes this wine so brilliant is that if you're not in the mood for the zing of Sauvignon Blanc but don't want the ripe tropical fruit of an inexpensive Chardonnay, this gives us something in between. Fresh, lemony and love-er-ly.  

Current red in the rack: DMZ Syrah, £9.99, Majestic
I've not gone for subtle labels this week. This one's got enormous letters on the front (DMZ, funnily enough) which I imagine they think is easier to remember than its full name, De Morgenzon. Given that I can't remember what I went into the shop to buy in the first place more often than not, three letters is definitely helpful. Anyway, this is Syrah (same as Shiraz, just under the French name) from Stellenbosch in South Africa and if you like reds from the Rhone, this should go on your list. Bramble fruit and spice, thanks to a bit of time spent in oak barrels. Great value. 

Chin chin x

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,