Glasses Please

Nothing to do with time at the bar (if you want to know just how bad I am at bar work, read this). Rather, at Book Club earlier this week the proposed next book was being passed round the table. And when I start a new book, I check two things. 1) The number of pages and 2) the size of the font. This next one has got small font. We're talking this small. So, as I held the book away from me and closed one eye to glance at a page, Leila* (her *book club name, obviously) handed me her reading glasses. And suddenly everything became clear. Literally. I need reading glasses. Although red wine is supposed to be good for your eyesight too. Glass half full, me. 

Current white in the fridge: Iocalia Vermentino 2012, £8.50, The Wine Society
I was sent this in a mixed case from the team at The Wine Society and it definitely brought a touch of island sun to my glass(es). Vermentino is a brilliant - and mostly underrated - grape that's spiritual home is Sardinia. Also planted across mainland Italy and in southern France, it's a refreshing take on an aromatic white. Lots of citrus fruit flavours, with an almost lemon peel character to it. Not too cheek-suckingly sharp, but with enough freshness to make you smack your lips. And ask for another glass, please. Nibbles essential. 

Current red in the rack: Hardy's 160th Shiraz 2012, £9.99, Waitrose
To celebrate 160 years of winemaking, Australian producer Hardy's has released a range of Limited Edition wines to mark the occasion. This is knock-your-socks-off fruity; a concentrated Shiraz with  juicy blackberry flavours that take the taste buds hostage until you cry for mercy. I sipped this whilst watching the GBBO final (recorded, already knew who'd won, still brilliant) in front of the fire. Wearing slippers. I know how to live on the edge. 

So, just a quick pic from this week's Alan Titchmarsh Show. This is me with the AT consumer dream team, Kevin Poulter and Fiona Foster, in the Green Room (I still look SO pleased to be on the telly):

Loving the glasses. 
Peace out, winos x

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,